[zeromq-dev] need help with a problem

Mike Smith msmith at cellwatch.com
Fri Nov 1 22:13:08 CET 2013

Hi,
I wonder if anyone might be able to steer me in the right direction:

I'm building an embedded C application, running in Linux, that requires a small daemon to listen on a localhost port for messages from other processes.  I've attempted to build a simple daemon using examples from "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment", and adding in essentially the "Hello_server" model from ZMQ.  I have no problems with the plain C applications using ZMQ, and can readily send various messages.

However, when I test the daemon app with a small ZMQ message server (listener on a port), I cannot get a response from the server on my embedded system, although the exact same program works on an Ubuntu host system (the embedded system is an ARM device, the host is an Intel machine).

I suspect this has to do with threading peculiarities in the embedded machine along with signal handling among threads, but I don't understand how to correct the problem.  Does anyone have suggestions how to go about using zmq in a daemon with only two signal handlers, for SIGTERM and SIGHUP?

=mike