[zeromq-dev] RFC: Testsuite for ZeroMQ

Frank Rehberger frehberg at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 13:43:47 CET 2013

Hello everybody,

please let me introduce myself. My name is Frank and I living in
Berlin/Germany. My background is communication middlewares and security.

A few days ago I set up the new github project zeromq_testsuite. Its
purpose is to automate the measurement, the interoperability-checks and
test-execution for local  and distributed ZeroMQ scenarios.

https://github.com/frehberg/zeromq_testsuite

The testsuite is based on the RobotFramework, being a generic test
automation framework for acceptance testing and acceptance test-driven
development (ATDD). Testcases are grouped, forming testsuites, and every
testcase is associated with a corresponding set of tacks. To perform a
test-run  the testcase-set can be controlled and narrowed by including or
excluding specific tacks, eg. "release" or "latency". The resulting
test-report and test-log are documenting the overall software status,
performance-measurements and also permit a first fault analysis.

For the beginning the current testsuite covers the tests and performance
applications shipped with the libzmq sources, and embedding  performance
chart-diagrams into the test-log. In near future the testsuite shall
advance providing distributed scenerios as well.

Everybody is welcome to participate in the development of the testsuite,
such as defining requirements and/or contributing code and test-cases, and
more. And maybe it will evolve to an "official" project in the 0MQ
community, maybe /zeromq/zmqa (ZeroMQ QA)  (?)

I would like to start a discussion in the mailing list now to collect your
comments and ideas :)

Kind regards,
Frank