[zeromq-dev] epgm on Red Hat 4

Emmanuel TAUREL taurel at esrf.fr
Wed May 29 13:55:39 CEST 2013

Hello all,

I am trying to use ZMQ 3.2.2 (with open pgm 5.1.118) on Red Hat 4 host
(Quite old stuff...)
I am using PUB/SUB and epgm transport.
When I connect the subscriber to the publisher, the publisher aborts
with the message

Warn: ToS/DSCP setting requires CAP_NET_ADMIN or ADMIN capability.
Invalid argument (session_base.cpp:478)

and it aborts due to assertion. If I run the publisher as root, it works
fine but I don't want to run it as root!
As far as I understood, epgm transport is exactly for this and I thought
I could run a non-root process using pgm if I select epgm as transport.
After a brief look into the code, it seems that it's the setsockopt call
for IPPROTO_IP and IP_TOS which generates this failure.

Is there something I can do to run my process as classical user on this
Red Hat 4 host?

Thank's for your answers

Emmanuel