[zeromq-dev] What C++ bindings to use ?

Michael Haberler mail17 at mah.priv.at
Wed May 29 08:42:00 CEST 2013

Am 28.05.2013 um 13:07 schrieb Pieter Hintjens <ph at imatix.com>:

> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Laurent Alebarde <l.alebarde at free.fr> wrote:
>
>> As I have to start a project from scratch, do you recommend to stick to C
>> and use CZMQ, or to use C++ bindings or Python bindings ? Criteria would be
>> productivity, robustness, ease of code reviewing.
>
> The C++ binding isn't dead but it's low-level (which is why it doesn't
> change much).
>
> I'd recommend CZMQ for fabric layers (APIs you intend to build into
> other languages), and either PyZMQ or Java (JZMQ or JeroMQ) for
> applications. If you use C, the CLASS style guide[1] gives good
> results.

just noting that I found that particular situation a tad confusing as well

I do have a zmq application using C / CZMQ, and using the protobuf-c binding; while that works fine, I still consider switching to the stock protobuf C++ binding since that'd be one less external dependency, better documented, more widely used and a bit easier coding

that leaves me guessing which zmq api I should use assuming I switch to C++ for that application: using the CZMQ C API in a C++ program, which calls upon the C++ binding indirected through the C layer strikes me as a bit awkward; or using the C++ binding directly regardless it being 'low level'

not sure - grateful for suggestions

- Michael