[zeromq-dev] Do Sockets free memory after..

Nishant Mittal nmittal at rblt.com
Thu May 16 20:38:16 CEST 2013

ok thanks for confirming.

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 2:03 PM, Andrew Hume <andrew at research.att.com>wrote:

> pretty much all OSes do not shrink the user space back
> after memory has been freed.
> on the other hand, if its not being used, it doesn't hurt much.
>
> the only way to really fix this issue is to use shared memory
> for the buffer (external to zmq), and then release the segment.
>
> On May 16, 2013, at 10:58 AM, Pieter Hintjens wrote:
>
> On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 7:41 PM, Nishant Mittal <nmittal at rblt.com> wrote:
>
> bad choice of words on my part.. i didnt mean to imply zeromq is leaking
>
> memory.. what I think is happening is that once the outgoing buffer grows
>
> a certain size.. it keeps that as reserve for the future (and does not free
>
> it).. just wanted to confirm that this is wat is happening indeed and is by
>
> design.
>

> libzmq does not do this, but I think the operating system may do that.
> What OS are you using?
>
> -Pieter
>

> -----------------------
> Andrew Hume
> 623-551-2845 (VO and best)
> 973-236-2014 (NJ)
> andrew at research.att.com

*Disclaimer:*

*The information contained in this communication is not intended as an
offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any securities, futures,
options, or any other investment product. This communication is not
research, and does not contain enough information on which to make an
investment decision. The information herein has been obtained from various
sources. We do not guarantee its accuracy. Any opinion offered herein
reflects Rosenblatt Securities Inc. current judgment and may change without
notice.          Member: NYSE, SIPC, FINRA*