[zeromq-dev] Help on the PUB/SUB socket reconnection.

许海玲 hailingxu at gmail.com
Thu May 16 05:05:31 CEST 2013

Hello zmq guys,

I am writing this letter to confirm whether zmq PUB/SUB socket tcp
connection have no timeout mechanism.

Recently, I am coding with ZMQ3.2.2 API.  In my program, there are two
nodes, one is publisher, the other is subscriber, communicated with zmq tcp
PUB/SUB sockets.  These two nodes are running on virtual machine. When the
publisher's VM is RESET(code restart),  the subscriber won't received any
message from the restarted publisher. However,  restart the publisher
program, reboot in guest os, disconnect interface for a period of time
won't lead to such result, subscriber always reconnects to the new started
publisher.

With tcpdump, we noticed that
1)  restart the publisher program or reboot the guest os, makes publisher
zmq send a FIN to terminate the connection. And when publisher restarts,
subscriber will reconnect to it automatically.

2) Reset the VM of publisher, no FIN is sent out and when publisher
restarts, the subscribe do nothing, no communication is observed, so the
subscribe can't detect the previous connection is lost.

3)  Reset the VM of subscriber, no FIN is sent out, and publisher is always
sending messages to the previous connection. Of course, a new connection is
established, and messages are also sent out via this connection.

With the above observation, we guess that zmq PUB/SUB has no connection
timeout mechanism, the connection only be terminated when one of the ends
sends a FIN. I am curious about the whether it is the design target, or a
bug. Maybe we must implements timeout with heatbeat on uplayer, to avoid
lost connection when publisher is down for power losing.

Thanks for your information.

Hailing.