[zeromq-dev] Writing higher-level bindings

Robin Kåveland Hansen kaaveland at gmail.com
Sun May 12 20:13:31 CEST 2013

Hi,

I've been reading through the guide every now and then for the past few
months and used zeromq for a couple of pet projects. I've been using the
Python bindings for libzmq and I've had a blast.

While the documentation is good and the bindings are excellent, I have
realised that I have sort of developed a higher-level library on top of
pyzmq in my effort to understand it. I have done this I think, primarily to
make it easier to use the limited functionality of zmq I've found the need
for so far. So the library I've created for myself is not by any means
complete, it just makes it easier to set up applications that have some
specific usecases. Example:
http://codepad.org/z8p0ImK6

This is more magic than plain pyzmq, but I think it makes it easier to make
the simplest applications.

I kind of want to release this when it supports a broader spectrum of
usecases than just pub/sub and req/rep, but I thought I'd at the very least
ask permission first and maybe also get some opinions about that way of
running a zeromq application.

If I were to release this, would the modified BSD license be okay? I'm not
planning on bundling libzmq or pyzmq, they'd be dependencies in a setup.py
file.

Grateful for any feedback, thanks!
--
Kind regards,