[zeromq-dev] ZMQ UDP "I'm here" broadcast

Lucas Hope lucas.r.hope at gmail.com
Tue May 7 05:54:07 CEST 2013

Hi Michael,

I mainly just lurk the list, and haven't used it myself, but it seems like
czmq's zbeacon is a good starting point for you.

http://czmq.zeromq.org/manual:zbeacon

czmq is a C wrapper plus extras for the core zmq library.

Cheers,

-Luke

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Michael Powell <mwpowellhtx at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am getting ready to implement a distributed messaging system to
> discover devices on a network.
>
> Our current device distribution approach responds to SSH commands with
> command line (literally C/C++ iostream cout), but this doesn't scale
> so well for higher volumes or longer run times. So, would like to
> implement a messaging system on a couple of levels.
>
> There will be proxy hosts that need to discover these devices on a
> network. Other than predetermined knowledge of IP addresses, I'd like
> for the devices to announce they are on the network with a UDP
> broadcast that the proxy host(s) can respond to, on different port(s)
> obviously.
>
> After discovery, proxy would connect in the more "conventional" TCP
> PUB/SUB manner in cooperation with the SSH session: SSH to kick off
> the service, and TCP PUB/SUB to sink messages.
>
> Is something like this possible with ZMQ? Getting ready to get after
> that "with anger" (passionately).
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael Powell

Dr Lucas Hope - lucas.r.hope at skype
Machine Learning and Software Engineering Consultant
Melbourne, Australia