[zeromq-dev] zmq+openpgm : memory grow without bound

Leo Wu mail.leowu at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 00:27:58 CEST 2013

We are using zmq (2.2.0) with conjunction with openPgm (5.1.118) and we are
experiencing an memory usage issue.

The memory usage seems to grow without bound.  Trying to isolate the
problem we set up an environment with only the server running.  The server
sends out a small heartbeat type of message every few seconds (5 for
example).  Monitoring the memory usage of the server it continue to rise
even after hours of execution.  Based on our measurement, the memory growth
is about 600KB/hour, and continues to grow regardless how long it has been
running.

The following is what we have done in trying track this down:
1.  Run our code through valgrind.  It did not find any leaks.
2.  If we switch PGM to using TCP, the memory growth seems to stop.
3.  Set the socket rate (100000) and socket recovery ivl (10).

We are stock and don't know what else to try.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-leo