[zeromq-dev] Using ZeroMQ in VS2012 C++

João Malés jpmp9 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 11 04:50:34 CEST 2013

Hello

Someone advised me to join this mailing list to solve my problem. I already tried the ZeroMq Dashboard, the StackoverFlow, MSDN and other sites with no luck.

So this is it:

i installed the ZeroMQ in python(and it's working) but i can't do it in
Visual studio 2012 C++. I downloaded the windows installer, installed it
 and searched in the installation folder which is:

-an "include" folder with 2 header files which i copied into my VS include

-a "lib" folder with 3 lib files and 3 pdb files which i copied into my VS lib

-a "bin" folder which i copied into my VS bin

After this, i tried to use zmq::context_t... and zmq::socket_t... but i
couldn't do it, it said that zmq had to be a class in order for me to
use as a namespace. I tried to add all the libraries to the dependencies
 and still couldn't do it.

So, after, i copied this(https://github.com/zeromq/cppzmq/blob/master/zmq.hpp) to a
zmqhpp.h file which i imported to my other header file where i want to
create the socket.

Now it says:
"1>PythonPlugIn2.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external
 symbol __imp__zmq_close referenced in function "public: void __thiscall
 zmq::socket_t::close(void)" (?close at socket_t@zmq@@QAEXXZ)" and a bunch
of other "unresolved"
 problems(12 more to be exact)

Meanwhile i tried another thing. Instead of the windows installer i
 downloaded the .zip. I followed every step(i had to build the msvc10
because the msvc wouldn't build) and then i added the library
libzmq_d.lib to my dependencies. I still get the error
 "zmq is not a class or namespace name"

Edit:Tried this(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10367678/linking-to-a-static-0mq-library-in-vs?lq=1) also. Nothing...

What's happening guys?

I'm on windows 7 x-64 and on Visual Studio 2012 c++

Thank you for the help

João Pereira