[zeromq-dev] RFC 32 - Z85

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Thu Jul 11 00:15:44 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 1:02 PM, Peter Taylor <peter at vidavia.com> wrote:

> As far as I can see, you've disqualified single and double quotes and
> probably backslashes. That still leaves free choice of 7 other characters to
> exclude. Was that choice arbitrary, or did you use additional criteria? If
> so, what were they?

Nothing special beyond string safety, and spaces (since you can't
copy/paste these safely), since this is a draft and the point is to
get input from other people.

> Putting those together suggests that the excluded 10 characters should be

Fair enough. Space can't be used IMO, and > should be safe but some
XML parsers may be confused by it.

Do you want to propose a new encoding set? I'm happy to make a
revision of the spec for that.