[zeromq-dev] Sending empty messages with CZMQ

Michaël Melchiore rohel01 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 17:50:35 CEST 2013

Hello all,

I am using CZMQ 1.4.1 on top of zeromq 3.2.3 on a CentOS 6.4 box.

I have just noticed I can send messages containing a single empty frame but
empty messages will be silently discarded by CZMQ zmsg_send: in the linked
source code <http://pastebin.com/Cuwvsuq5>, both client and server will
hang if no frames are added to the messages.

Is it intended behavior ? Should zmsg_send at least assert in that case ?

In my use case, I wanted to perform an initial handshake between clients
and server, and sending empty messages seemed convenient.

Regards,

Michaël