[zeromq-dev] when I connect a socket, is there something that goes on the wire ?

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Fri Jul 5 12:17:21 CEST 2013

Laurent,

Yes, there is a handshake when a connection is established, but it's
totally insignificant, especially for a server that gets clients
connecting at different moments. You could create a spike in network
use if you made a thousand connections at the same instant, but that's
not how it works with servers.

You can read exactly what happens in the protocol spec at
rfc.zeromq.org/spec:23.

-Pieter