[zeromq-dev] DEALER to ROUTER and reusing identity.

Trevor Bernard trevor.bernard at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 13:24:21 CET 2013

> I'd advise against trying to use identities to make this failover work.

Okay.

> You're going to be fighting 0MQ's autoreconnect. Instead, provide authentication in the protocol itself and design the router app to do the failover itself.

I don't understand what you mean when you say design the router app to
do the failover itself.

Some more info about my topology:

I know in advance who all the primary services are. And if a failover
scenerio happens, a leader election occurs and I will know about the
new primary's hostname and ports.

I can essentially do this:

zmq_connect(s, "Service 234")
zmq_send (s, data, sizeof (data), 0);

The pattern I'm trying to implement is a reliable pipeline. I want to
be able to guarantee that what I send from the front endpoint won't be
lost on it's way to the back endpoint.

I use a pipeline to distribute the work/values and was toying with the
DEALER/ROUTER setup that was described earlier for acknowledgements.

This is my first attempt at the pattern:

https://gist.github.com/trevorbernard/5029260/raw/9ab008dd931f3dfc6ec435beb7f3039a02a0c9a0/gistfile1.txt

Looking forward to your feedback,

Trev