[zeromq-dev] Google Summer of Code 2014

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Tue Dec 31 03:19:35 CET 2013

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 10:07 AM, Bjorn Reese <breese at mail1.stofanet.dk> wrote:

> So what part of Google paying students and mentors to work on ZeroMQ
> projects do you dislike?

Specifically, I think it's a distortion of the natural economies of the project.

It is a delicate process to decide what problems are really worth
solving. Throwing money into the process when that money isn't backed
by business needs is IMO counterproductive.

If Google was using ZeroMQ and contributing patches, that would be
awesome. Would they however pay *students* to make patches to code
they were using in production? Ahem... And if not, why is paying
students to make patches to code *other* people use in production OK?

You can take our C4 contribution process and match it against
paying-students-to-code-for-cash events and see the disharmony. C4 was
born from trench warfare rather than ideology.

That's my view based on current data. i'm not married to it and more
than happy to be proven wrong.