[zeromq-dev] Problem installing python language binding on openwrt

Greg Ward greg at gerg.ca
Wed Dec 11 15:10:06 CET 2013

On 09 December 2013, Roman said:
> Greg, thank you for answering.
> Sure, it is definitely known that it is impossible to compile C language
> programs on OpenWRT box itself. In case you need compilation,
> cross-compiler is used on another platform.
> In my case I already have zeromq library compiled and installed on device.
> Do I really need to compile Python bindings in case of preinstalled
> library?

Yes, if the Python bindings are written in C or Cython. (I believe
pyzmq uses Cython.) C extensions are compiled directly. Cython
extensions are compiled to C and then the resulting C is compiled to
machine code. Either way, you need a C compiler.

The offical doc (a bit dated) is:

  http://docs.python.org/2.7/install/index.html

       Greg