[zeromq-dev] merge commits in libzmq clutter the commit space.

AJ Lewis aj.lewis at quantum.com
Fri Dec 6 20:36:56 CET 2013

On Fri, Dec 06, 2013 at 07:55:16PM +0100, Pieter Hintjens wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 4:44 PM, AJ Lewis <aj.lewis at quantum.com> wrote:
>
> > Sorry, why do we care?  What's wrong with actually seeing the full history
> > of the feature/bug fix?  I find it useful (if the commits are actually
> > sane).
>
> It's annoying and fragile to have multiple commits for one change,
> when one may want to revert or backport it. Apart from that, it's not
> an issue.

Maybe we're saying the same thing.  When there's a big feature, it's helpful
if it's broken out into logical, self contained commits because:

A. You can see the logical progression of the feature
B. It's easier to review small, self-contained patches.

For small changes or bug fixes, it doesn't make sense to have a bunch of
commits - there's a single logical commit in that case.

Now, if there are multiple commits merged in via a pull request, can't you
just revert the whole lot by reverting the merge commit?

Thanks,
--
AJ Lewis
Software Engineer

Work:    651 688-4346
email:   aj.lewis at quantum.com

The information contained in this transmission may be confidential. Any disclosure, copying, or further distribution of confidential information is not permitted unless such privilege is explicitly granted in writing by Quantum. Quantum reserves the right to have electronic communications, including email and attachments, sent across its networks filtered through anti virus and spam software programs and retain such messages in order to comply with applicable data security and retention requirements. Quantum is not responsible for the proper and complete transmission of the substance of this communication or for any delay in its receipt.