[zeromq-dev] Switch to Infiniband for ZMQ under IPython.parallel?

Jon Olav Vik jonovik at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 11:38:36 CEST 2012

I am very happily using IPython.parallel for high-level parallel programming on
a shared batch computing cluster that offers Infiniband interconnect.
IPython.parallel uses ZMQ for messaging (pyzmq bindings). If possible, I would
like to run ZMQ over Infiniband, and the ipython newsgroup suggested that zeromq-
dev might be the place to ask. (Original post is here: http://article.gmane.org/
gmane.comp.python.ipython.user/9177 )

I searched the zeromq-dev archives and see that several options exist: SDP
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockets_Direct_Protocol), something called IPoIB,
and there is also mention of "native" Infiniband support (http://
thread.gmane.org/gmane.network.zeromq.devel/12452).

However, I cannot quite figure out where to start, and am quite unfamiliar with
the technicalities of TCP/IP/Infiniband. By itself, IPython.parallel will pick
some address/port number like tcp://*:51056 and listen to connections on that
port. Any pointers to how to make (py)zmq use Infiniband would be appreciated --
are there particular compiler options required, are there special commands to
map TCP addresses to Infiniband?

Best regards,
Jon Olav