[zeromq-dev] Pull request to retire "devices" and replace with "proxies"

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Sun Sep 9 04:26:29 CEST 2012

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 1:59 AM, Garrett Smith <g at rre.tt> wrote:

> I always read "device" as "a higher level interface that's so
> fundamental it's provided as a reusable black box".

Not just a fundamental black box but three special kinds of black box
(queue, streamer, forwarder)... suggesting that there was a whole
universe of smart little black boxes we could make a plug into our
architecture.  That's the promise I remember, starting to learn this.

"Devices" promises way too much. Recall that at one stage 0MQ included
a JSON-parsing library just so we could configure the beautiful little
things.

When if fact it's just a pivot, a concentrator, a connector, a dealer
of messages in and out, a router, a switch, a dumb point of focus, a
message churning round-about, a circuit with zero semantics, and it
turns out that the same precise circuit works for all socket types.
There are no devices, and there are no building blocks, just a single
fast loop we can reuse profitably in lots of places.

Hence the value of having this in libzmq, and hence my intention to
raze the concept of "device" from the core lexicon.

If anyone has a better suggestion than "proxy", now's the time to make it.