[zeromq-dev] Pull request to retire "devices" and replace with "proxies"

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Sat Sep 8 05:37:16 CEST 2012

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 4:53 AM, MinRK <benjaminrk at gmail.com> wrote:

>... but at least I can tell them to email Pieter :)

:-) of course.

> Yes, I would certainly do that.  But deprecating names is not significantly
> less painful than simply changing them, as people still have to update their
> code in the exact same way, just not so abruptly. And they will rightfully
> complain that they are getting nothing for their trouble.

Well, we've had this discussion a few times... my view is that it's
never too late to clear up confusing names.

We forget the pain it took to learn 0MQ initially. Explaining it again
from scratch, it's clear where we can improve things.

"Device" is one of those concepts that always seemed harder to learn
than it should have been. "Proxy" isn't an ideal name, but it does
seem to cover most use cases, and should be much easier to grasp for
new users.

So what's the benefit of this change?

My hope is that as "proxy" sticks better as a concept, people will
actually invest in the built-in proxy, as they never did in devices.