[zeromq-dev] client not reconnecting properly or syn-fin death spiral

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Fri Oct 26 03:05:29 CEST 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Stephen Hemminger
<shemminger at vyatta.com> wrote:

> The problem was related to setting identity on the DEALER.
> Turns out than when the DEALER reconnects the internal ROUTER
> code thinks the new socket is a duplicate of the old (still timing out)
> socket and closes it.

Ah, right. If the client didn't close the socket properly, TCP won't
report the error for a while.

Do you see anything we can do in the router socket to make this work
better? Allowing duplicate identities won't work, and allowing a
second client to "grab" the identity of an existing one won't work
either.

Perhaps we need ping-pong heartbeating in the socket layer.