[zeromq-dev] epgm performance numbers

Steven McCoy steven.mccoy at miru.hk
Thu Oct 25 19:17:34 CEST 2012

On 25 October 2012 13:04, Rohan Bedarkar <r_bedarkar at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately no luck. Just tried varying the multicast rates on both
> sides anywhere between 1000 to 10000 to even 1000000 but no change. Its a
> little counterintuitive that lowering rates can help especially if HWM is
> sufficiently high. I am using 32 bit SuSe on one side and 64 bit SuSe on
> the other side.
>
> Are there any configs that I might have overlooked?
>
> Both my repeater application and originating application are very light so
> I doubt these latencies are anywhere in there. If I simply switch to TCP
> the performance is really good.

First set a baseline with iperf.

Second try the performance tools in ZeroMQ.

Third try the performance tools in OpenPGM.

Due to the high watermark you have set in ZeroMQ it might be an issue
previously raised:  application level throttling is required, although it
need only be coarse grained.  The problem with high speed pushing into
ZeroMQ means you saturate the memory bus queuing up everything and slow the
entire system down causing performance to be significantly worse.

Reliable multicast is not easy™

--
Steve-o