[zeromq-dev] UDP-like unreliable transmission?

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Tue Oct 23 07:37:27 CEST 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Nick Sabalausky
<bus_zeromq at semitwist.com> wrote:

> I'm interested in possibly using ZeroMQ for realtime multiplayer
> videogames. As such, there are things I would normally use UDP for
> (example: player position/heading corrections) to avoid any overhead
> from retrys or packet reordering (ie, non-critical info which could
> become outdated by the time TCP's reliability features get the data
> across the line, and therefore may as well be dropped without retrying,
> etc.).
>
> Does ZeroMQ have any way to handle this sort of UDP-like use-case? If
> so, can I combine it with the regular TCP-based ZeroMQ for the other
> messages which do need reliability?

There's an experimental project (VTX) which has a UDP bridge for 0MQ.
You might find that useful, but at the time no-one was much interested
and it's not moved beyond a prototype (v3).
https://github.com/hintjens/vtx

It would be an interesting and useful project to add UDP to libzmq but
at present there's no UDP transport in libzmq itself, and the
performance cost of doing it via a bridge is quite large.