[zeromq-dev] ZMQ and the internet - desired/necessary features

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Mon Oct 22 14:08:39 CEST 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Merijn Verstraaten
<merijn at inconsistent.nl> wrote:

> In summary, I think:
> The minimal scenario ROUTER needs to be able to deal with to be usable on a public network is clients setting malicious identities. This means:
>  - Check whether identity is allowed before letting client connect
>  - Disconnecting a given identity
>  - Not allowing connections using an identity that is already connected

Merijn, it makes sense but you don't really need to convince anyone.
Simply write an issue where you state the lack of identity checking as
a problem, try fixing this in the code, send a patch, see what
happens.

Since we're pretty much done with stable 3.2, it's a good time to do
experiments. My advice is to make small, careful steps and get
feedback through running code rather than up-front discussion.

If you make disruptive changes that annoy people, they'll simply patch
them away.

Enjoy!
-Piieter