[zeromq-dev] ZMQ and the internet - desired/necessary features

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Mon Oct 22 06:52:29 CEST 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 8:10 AM, Ian Barber <ian.barber at gmail.com> wrote:

> The bad person snooping problem I would handle over the top of ZeroMQ rather
> than trying to solve at that layer - it's much easier (and generally more
> pleasant) to separate message delivery from distribution using a bit of
> crypto.

Yes, indeed. I'd leave the sockets for what they are - queuing and
routing engines - and add security at the transport and firewall
layer. In any case without strong encryption you just shift the bar.
Hostiles can still snoop and spoof and intercept.

What would be ideal is a tls:// transport. Cue dramatic music...