[zeromq-dev] Delivery time

Chuck Remes lists at chuckremes.com
Fri Oct 5 14:17:14 CEST 2012

On Oct 5, 2012, at 5:30 AM, Marco Trapanese wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have several systems, with different hardware, o.s., network, etc...
> which runs some applications based upon zmq.
>
> They all have a router/dealer configuration.
> I send very small packets (< 50 byte) every few seconds.
> In some systems there is a "real" network: just two machines directly
> connected with an eth cable.
>
> What is the expected delivery time of the messages?
>
> I ask this because often I experience very long delays in the reception.
> I'm talking about several hundred of ms, sometime over 500 ms.
>
> I'm pretty sure there is something wrong in my code.
> I use both Qt wrapper and plain C++ classes.
>
> What tests do you recommend to find out the cause of the issue?

You should run the local_lat and remote_lat example programs that are part of the library. They will measure round-trip latency between two processes (which can be on the same machine or across a LAN or WAN). That should give you a baseline for your own system.

When you run the test, make sure you send *at least* 1 million messages back and forth otherwise the measure will be dominated by startup costs (launching the app, TCP handshake, etc).

cr