[zeromq-dev] UDP and zeromq

Steven McCoy steven.mccoy at miru.hk
Thu Oct 4 12:56:55 CEST 2012

On 4 October 2012 00:42, Santosh N Dumbre <santosh.dumbre at igate.com> wrote:

>  I want UDP transport for Unicast communication. The input events are
> coming at high rate and need to be processed in minimum time.
> As I understand, UDP transport can provide better speed than TCP transport
> for this application.

UDP's performance characteristic only applies under congestion or a lossy
environment such as Wi-Fi.  The scenario is that UDP is unreliable and thus
there is no back channel for retransmission requests which would stall TCP.

So the question is, are you looking for an unreliable channel in a
congested or lossy environment?  Otherwise use TCP.

--
Steve-o