[zeromq-dev] description of REQ/REP state machine?

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Tue Oct 2 18:41:38 CEST 2012

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Michael Haberler <mail17 at mah.priv.at> wrote:

> I think such informal description is inadaequate for a independent protocol implementation...

if the goal is interoperability then there is a missing protocol
specification layer, above ZMTP, for each socket type, based on the
zmq_socket man page. The key things aren't REQ/REP state, nor framing,
which are simple. It's the routing and HWM strategies for each socket
type, and the zmq_socket man page does describe these explicitly, Note
however that REQ and REP are not visible at the protocol level. They
are pure API semantics. They're built on DEALER and ROUTER
respectively.