[zeromq-dev] Multiple ventilators <=> Multiple workers

Gregory Sainson gregory.sainson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 18:14:22 CET 2012

Hi,

I posted this on the google group without much success so I'll try the
mailing list.
---

I exactly want to do a divide and conquer approach and implement this
example: http://zguide.zeromq.org/page:all#toc13
The only difference is that I have multiple ventilators but fewer than
workers and I don't care about the sink.
I also want to be able to easily add ventilators and workers to my topology.

I just want to loadbalance tasks between multiple workers. Those taks
coming from multiple ventilators.

I want my ventilator to fire and forget. I don't want to use REQ/REP
because I don't need a REP!
And as I understood, I can't use the broker/dealer stuff with PUSH/PULL.

I imagine I could have a topology like:
- Multiple SUB being my ventilators: They generate the tasks
- One PUB / PUSH : I receives all the tasks and push them to the
workers. This centralize everything
- Multiple PULL aka workers
But I would have the problem of loadbalancing because PUSH/PULL
doesn't handle this well, and syncing them is just impossible.
"The ventilator's PUSH socket distributes tasks to workers (assuming
they are all connected before the batch starts going out) evenly. This
is called load-balancing and it's something we'll look at again in
more detail."

Or just use the loadbalancing example for my problem :
http://zguide.zeromq.org/page:all#toc65
But the fact that I don't need any Reply makes it a little useless..

Thx for your help.

Greg