[zeromq-dev] Socket identities with subscription messages

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Wed Nov 28 15:28:31 CET 2012

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Stefan Radomski
<radomski at tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:

> We are in the process of implementing a rather pragmatic, distributed pub/sub middleware using mDNS (Bonjour & Avahi) for node discovery and ZeroMQ as a message broker[1]. On top of the ZeroMQ and mDNS concepts, we offer node, publisher and subscriber abstractions and we would ultimately like our publishers to "know" their subscribers (e.g. in order to wait for a subscriber with a given UUID).

Have you looked at the Zyre framework from Chapter 8 of the Guide? It
solves this problem (distributed pub/sub middleware), pretty much.

Very similar: nodes use UUIDs. However we don't use PUB/SUB because
that's inherently unreliable. We use ROUTER/DEALER and a simple group
management protocol for tracking the multicast flow.

Project is at http://zyre.org.