[zeromq-dev] Socket identities with subscription messages

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Wed Nov 28 12:23:13 CET 2012

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Stefan Radomski
<radomski at tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:

> This is obviously a hack but should work with TCP as long as I do not subscribe to additional prefixes.

You can't use undocumented behaviour safely; future versions may break
this arbitrarily.

> Is it planned to have optional identities for XSUB sockets in the future? It seems like a logical next step after the introduction of ZMQ_XPUB_VERBOSE.

It would help if you explained your problem and what you are actually
using subscriber identities for. There is no logical step except to
solve real problems in the simplest plausible way.

The protocol does in fact support identity exchange for all socket
types but what are the semantics in XSUB/XPUB? In ROUTER, it's used to
route replies.

I'm sceptical of extending pub/sub much further since it breaks the
scalability of the pattern but as we've said often, if it's something
you want to make, send a patch.