[zeromq-dev] Socket identities with subscription messages

Stefan Radomski radomski at tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Nov 28 11:42:30 CET 2012

Hi Pieter,

thank you for your response. Actually I do have a solution, but relies on undocumented behavior: I realized that subscription messages are sent out in alphabetical order, by setting up my XSUB sockets to subscribe to a UUID prefixed with a "late" alphabetical prefix I can get an idea as to when a given subscriber sent out all of its subscriptions to a XPUB socket (I coordinate subscriber/publisher awareness with router/dealer sockets).

This is obviously a hack but should work with TCP as long as I do not subscribe to additional prefixes. Is it planned to have optional identities for XSUB sockets in the future? It seems like a logical next step after the introduction of ZMQ_XPUB_VERBOSE.

Best regards
Stefan