[zeromq-dev] UDP performance

Bennie Kloosteman bklooste at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 04:50:16 CET 2012

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Pieter Hintjens <ph at imatix.com> wrote:

> I did quite a lot of experimentation with UDP for 0MQ patterns a year
> or two ago. The results weren't impressive, performance wise.
> Semantically, it maps quite nicely, if you're OK with short messages
> and a high rate of loss.

I wrote a UDP channel for WCF (.NET) once as well and  the results were
 unimpressive ( not much difference in latency and a 20% transaction
throughput increase mainly due to lots of small messages in my micro bench
and zero time  transactions) . So im firmly of the opinion use tcp not UDP
or PGM . If the results do not measure up in production and you cant tune
the system any more then consider a more esoteric transport.  Congestion in
your network is a far more serious performance issue and easy to solve for
critical app.

Ben