[zeromq-dev] UDP performance

Steven McCoy steven.mccoy at miru.hk
Wed Nov 28 00:28:53 CET 2012

On 27 November 2012 17:25, Dan Goes <DGoes at blueorigin.com> wrote:

>  - What sort of performance increases could we see with UDP transport
> over TCP transport in zeromq, if it were a feature?

For the LAN and MAN you will likely see a decrease, don't forget TCP is
highly accelerated and UDP is gets checksum acceleration and nothing else.
 Especially on systems such as Windows which has a really high IP stack
overhead.  Please prove me incorrect, but I see the architecture
limitations when testing the PGM protocol.  I cannot even make sendmmsg() or
recvmmsg() worth the investment in implementation but might be more
productive for a unicast channel.

> **
>
> ** **
>
> - If UDP could help us, what options are available to have it baked into
> zeromq? I understand it's not enough to express interest in a feature and
> expect it to magically show up. Roughly speaking, where in the code would
> be a good place to start building this in? In terms of effort and/or time
> taken, can you take a really rough swing at estimating it? Thanks,****

You could probably add UDT by duplicating all the TCP usage, UDT is
designed for high-latency high-bandwidth environments where TCP congestion
is not accommodating.

--
Steve-o