[zeromq-dev] local IPC

Brian Knox briank at talksum.com
Tue Nov 27 12:49:17 CET 2012

This may be helpful:

http://api.zeromq.org/3-1:zmq-socket

"*Key differences to conventional sockets*

Generally speaking, conventional sockets present a *synchronous* interface
to either connection-oriented reliable byte streams (SOCK_STREAM), or
connection-less unreliable datagrams (SOCK_DGRAM). In comparison, ØMQ
sockets present an abstraction of an asynchronous *message queue*, with the
exact queueing semantics depending on the socket type in use. Where
conventional sockets transfer streams of bytes or discrete datagrams, ØMQ
sockets transfer discrete *messages*.

ØMQ sockets being *asynchronous* means that the timings of the physical
connection setup and tear down, reconnect and effective delivery are
transparent to the user and organized by ØMQ itself. Further, messages may
be *queued* in the event that a peer is unavailable to receive them."