[zeromq-dev] Compatibility 3.1 - 3.2.1-rc2

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Mon Nov 19 14:39:23 CET 2012

OK, I spoke too soon.

We've spent a while looking more closely at 3.1. The implementation of
the protocol has some serious problems. It does not follow the
documented ZMTP/1.0 spec. Specifically, it doesn't exchange identities
for socket types except for the REQ-REP pattern, but it does upstream
subscriptions. That means there's no immediate message from the peer,
no way to do the backwards compatibility negotation we do in 3.2.

There are also some faults in the message decoder, which does not
properly clear internal bits in the message flags when decoding a
message. This causes assertion failures.

We think it is doable to add the heuristics to 3.2 to detect old 3.1
peers but it's going to be non-trivial, at least a couple of days of
work.

-Pieter