[zeromq-dev] Getting connection info from pipe_t?

Ian Barber ian.barber at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 19:54:43 CET 2012

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 6:44 PM, Merijn Verstraaten
<merijn at inconsistent.nl>wrote:

> On a side note, I agree that not having providing this information to
> external users of the library, but I'm unsure why that information
> shouldn't be made available inside ZMQ? It makes disconnecting/filtering
> connections significantly harder...

It's part to do with the (positive) aim of separating transports. Coming up
with generalisations that effectively capture PGM, IPC, TCP and inproc
connections (and whatever is added in the future) is challenging. Things
that make the library work better on one of those than others are likely to
help specific use cases in the short term, but hurt the consistency of the
developer experience in the long term, so it's important to tread
carefully.

Ian