[zeromq-dev] ROUTER/PULL

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Wed Nov 14 02:08:31 CET 2012

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Charles Remes <chuck at chuckremes.com> wrote:

> I'm surprised that the docs aren't more clear about this detail. Honestly, the guide will teach you this but first you must read it. :)

The zmq_socket man page is pretty clear about the valid combinations I
think. The man page was wrong, not allowing DEALER-DEALER and
ROUTER-ROUTER, which I recently fixed.

http://api.zeromq.org/3-2:zmq-socket#toc3 seems pretty clear IMO.

> The names imply the proper pairings. In what world does ROUTER / PULL make sense from a semantic standpoint?

How does a PULL socket even send a message to a ROUTER socket?  How
can a ROUTER talk to a PULL socket that hasn't sent it a message?
You'd have to cheat with hard-coded identities.