[zeromq-dev] PUSH/ROUTER

Chuck Remes lists at chuckremes.com
Tue Nov 13 17:32:48 CET 2012

No, you should not use PUSH and ROUTER together. Your use-case mentions that *some* clients need to send a reply. A PUSH socket is send-only so you would never be able to receive those replies.

I recommend that you use DEALER and ROUTER sockets for your use-case. See this article for some important details.

http://www.zeromq.org/tutorials:dealer-and-router

There is no requirement that a ROUTER socket must reply to a DEALER socket. You could have 95% of communications be unidirectional and the 5% that require replies would be bidirectional.

Perhaps you would like to explain your requirements in more detail and we can provide more guidance on socket and pattern choice.

cr