[zeromq-dev] IPC performance in ZMQ version 2.2 vs. 3.

Steven McCoy steven.mccoy at miru.hk
Mon Nov 5 05:07:56 CET 2012

On 24 October 2012 08:05, Pieter Hintjens <ph at imatix.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 12:41 AM, Steven McCoy <steven.mccoy at miru.hk>
> wrote:
>
> > Don't be afraid to use oodles of IPC sockets!
>
> To make IPC really useful we need IMO to:
>
> 1. fix that behaviour which rebinds to existing IPC endpoints without
> warning and
> 2. make something, anything like IPC work on Windows

A test on my laptop whilst flying over I saw the same performance numbers
for single byte notifications for pseudo IPC on Windows and real IPC on
Linux:  ~6 million messages per second.  If that is true and performance
degrades significantly worse with larger messages on the pseudo IPC front
then the logically extension is to use shared memory for the payload but
keep the socketpair for the notification.

--
Steve-o