[zeromq-dev] ZeroMQ and grid engine match

Iulian-Nicu Şerbănoiu undergraver at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 08:07:15 CET 2012

Hello,

I am trying to design a custom grid engine for distributed parallel
tasks across a LAN. My previous experience with network programming
consists mainly on intensive use of ACE framework (
http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html ).

I would like the grid engine to be with no configuration, with no
central broker.
For this I would need to discover the worker machines and I'm thinking
of using UDP.
Each task creator machine must be connected to every worker machine
(TCP) and the scheduling of the tasks will be done on the task creator
machine.

Can the grid engine described above be created using zeromq? Is zeromq
a good choice for such project?
Are there any disadvantages in this design that zeromq overcomes
somehow? I'm asking this because in the samples and the guide I didn't
see anything close to this, except the ventilator which unfortunately
has a central broker in its design.

All the best,
Iulian