[zeromq-dev] REQ/REP for possibly async comm?

Michel Pelletier pelletier.michel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 03:37:51 CEST 2012

If not getting a timely response is an exceptional condition, then you
can throw away your REQ socket, create a new REQ socket, connect it
and proceed from there as if it were new.  If it's a common occurrence
then you can do ROUTER<->ROUTER and track the state of requests
yourself.  REQ and REP enforce a simple state, if you need a more
complex state tracking, then you can implement it yourself with
ROUTER.  The way I think of ROUTER is exactly like the hardware device
of the same name, you tell a router's send() where to send the data,
when you recv(), it tells you where it came from.  given that
information you can track your own requests and timeouts for every
given connected peer yourself in a zmq_poll() loop.

-Michel