[zeromq-dev] New Common Lisp zeromq binding

Lucas Hope lucas.r.hope at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 02:09:00 CEST 2012

Hi again Nicolas,

I finally got around to porting my code from the old cl-zmq to your
lisp-zmq. It is superior in quite a few ways, and is, of course, actively
maintained. There's nothing like an overnight bugfix to an issue to make
users happy. :-)

A major problem with the old cl-zmq is that it does not support ZMQ 2.1
correctly - just 2.0.

We should try to work with Xach to get lisp-zmq and the CFFI that lisp-zmq
requires into quicklisp*, and then make a case for your binding to become
the official binding for lisp. Probably by someone doing the work to update
the guide to use lisp-zmq.

Thanks for the binding,

-Luke

(* quicklisp is the de facto standard third-party package manager for lisp,
like Pypi for Python or CPAN for Perl.)

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 6:58 PM, Nicolas Martyanoff <khaelin at gmail.com>wrote:

> Lucas Hope <lucas.r.hope at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi Nicolas,
> >
> > I use cl-zmq for a few projects - I even forked it to do some small
> > compatibility changes I needed to upgrade it from 2.0.x compatibility to
> > 2.1.x compatibility.
> > ( https://github.com/lhope/cl-zmq )
> >
> > As far as I know, the old author has all-but abandoned the project.
> I got written confirmation that he didn't have the time to maintain it.
>
> > Is your new binding backward compatible with the current one? I checked
> out
> > your page and it had no documentation. Since the old one (with my minor
> > updates) is working, I haven't followed up further, but I figured some
> other
> > voice of interest might be good to hear.
> The binding is really similar; I migrated my m2cl library very quickly
> (
> https://github.com/galdor/m2cl/commit/47bb05a7e26dc0dab6f6e8267004ba82ea8cfa93
> ),
> and I know at least one person which is doing the same kind of change.
>
> While there isn't any external documentation right now, I used
> docstrings everywhere; furthermore, you can look at the examples
> provided with the library.
>
> Don't hesitate to ask me if you have any question or problem.
>
> Best regards,
>
> --
> Nicolas Martyanoff
> http://codemore.org
> khaelin at gmail.com

Dr Lucas Hope - lucas.r.hope at skype
Machine Learning and Software Engineering Consultant
Melbourne, Australia