[zeromq-dev] More on ZDCF

Steffen Mueller mail at steffen-mueller.net
Fri Mar 23 19:01:53 CET 2012

On 03/23/2012 03:59 PM, Pieter Hintjens wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 1:59 AM, Steffen Mueller
> <zeromq at steffen-mueller.net>  wrote:
>
>> I'll tackle the other two, but I'd love to get approval for the
>> versioning before I proceed.
>
> It looks perfect.

So now for the potentially more contentious changes:

- I added an outer layer "applications" so that a ZDCF file/tree can now
define contexts/devices/sockets for many processes (potentially on many
machines).

- I wrapped the devices in an extra hash/dictionary which lives in an
application object. Same goes for sockets in a device. This is to avoid
naming clashes with future extensions.

Both of these changes make the syntax a fair bit heavier, but not
significantly more complicated. In particular the former change makes it
a lot more powerful, the latter more future-proof.

Again, I'd appreciate review before I run with it in my Perl implementation.

Best regards,
Steffen