[zeromq-dev] More on ZDCF

Steffen Mueller zeromq at steffen-mueller.net
Fri Mar 23 07:59:01 CET 2012

Hi Pieter, hi all,

On 03/20/2012 11:35 PM, Pieter Hintjens wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Steffen Mueller
> <mail at steffen-mueller.net>  wrote:
>
>> I'd be really happy to get some feedback on both the ZMQ::Declare
>> library and the suggestions regarding the ZDCF spec.
>
> First off, it's really nice to see someone picking up the ZDCF specs
> and running with them.
>
> For your suggestions, yes, of course. Why not fork the spec, make your
> own version, with the changes you want, and push that to the RFC site.
> This is how the process works. It's not source code, so no patch
> process, just forking for improvements.

http://rfc.zeromq.org/spec:17 now has the improvements wrt. to
versioning. I've refrained from implementing the other two suggestions
(larger scope: include full applications; extensibility: don't share the
same dictionary between object attributes and names of sub-objects) at
the same time since I believe that versioning trumps virtually anything
else in utility. Without it, having anything like a spec is rather
pointless.

I'll tackle the other two, but I'd love to get approval for the
versioning before I proceed.

On a related note, the structural ZDCF validator that is part of
ZMQ::Declare is virtually language independent (Rx), so for it should be
a solved problem for anyone who thinks about using ZDCF. The way I wrote
it, it interpolates things in Perl, but it could be read from a JSON
file just as well. See lines 8 to 82:

https://github.com/tsee/ZMQ-Declare-Perl/blob/master/lib/ZMQ/Declare/ZDCF/Validator.pm#L8

Best regards,
Steffen