[zeromq-dev] data collector pattern

Noah Gibbs noah at ooyala.com
Tue Mar 20 15:54:02 CET 2012

You could PUSH/PULL.  You could also use ROUTER/DEALER, but I think
PUSH/PULL is all you actually need.

Basically the collector should bind as PULL and clients should connect to
it with PUSH sockets.  Then all the clients send PUSH when they have
something to send and the collector receives (pulls) constantly.

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 7:49 AM, Stephen Hemminger <shemminger at vyatta.com>wrote:

> The guide is full of wonderful and useful cases, but there is one that
> appears
> to be missing. For some applications there are lots of clients generating
> and one collector.
> The clients typically generate data like statistics or information (like a
> temperature sensor)
> that occurs periodically.  Each message from the client is idempotent and
> supersedes
> the last one, therefore it is acceptable for the collector to miss one.
> This is sort of
> the inverse of PUB-SUB.
>
> What is the best way to do this kind of lossy data collection and still
> scale. The slow
> way would be to use request/reply. Another awkward method would be to have
> the collector
> subscribe to all the clients, but that requires an out of band protocol to
> find the client
> endpoints. Pgn also works but requires that PGM protocol work in the
> network.
>
> Maybe some combination of ROUTER-DEALER?

*Noah Gibbs*
Software Engineer |
noah at ooyala.com | (510) 260-5409 (cell)
www.ooyala.com | blog <http://www.ooyala.com/blog> |