[zeromq-dev] Proposal for next stable release

john skaller skaller at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 19 07:08:57 CET 2012

On 19/03/2012, at 4:42 PM, Mark Wotton wrote:

> You can mix in my FFAU code to your code base.
> I cannot mix your LGPL code into mine.
>
> John,
>
> That's true, but were you planning to mix 0MQ in, or just link it?

That's not the issue. I'm not here for my personal needs, so what
I plan to do isn't the issue.

I personally couldn't care less about licences. I just ignore all
that for my own use, if I have any use.

It's a bit different when I'm providing ways for OTHER people to use
third party code, eg -- and I mean "FOR EXAMPLE" -- for Felix clients to use 0MQ.
I have to care about licences then, because the clients might.

FYI: There IS a potential issue with 0MQ if I were to fully integrate it:
0mQ uses polling and background threads to do I/O.

The problem is, Felix already does that too. So I have an integration
issue here. Felix has much better cross platform support than 0MQ:
it works on Windows with I/O completion ports. (Done by RF actually).

But it doesn't do framing (it works with streams not messages).
That sucks. But 0MQ does buffered blocking I/O and Felix needs
it to block fibres but not threads.

To make that happen properly I might have to chop 0MQ open.
And then the licence issue would really be a problem.

The alternative is to just re-implement it myself.
I really hate it when a licence gets in the way of code reuse.

--
john skaller
skaller at users.sourceforge.net
http://felix-lang.org