[zeromq-dev] [ANNOUNCE] Crossroads I/O release 1.0.0

Andrew Hume andrew at research.att.com
Thu Mar 15 20:45:00 CET 2012

well, i am puzzled.
am i supposed to follow and post to both groups?
is zmq the default code base, while crossroads goes through
a pickier process that vets more thoroughly change requests?
is there a plan for compatibility between the two codebases?

On Mar 15, 2012, at 11:53 AM, Martin Sustrik wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> We would like to announce the first release of the Crossroads I/O project.
>
> Crossroads I/O is a fork of the ZeroMQ project.
>
> While we acknowledge forking can be a painful process, we felt the
> ZeroMQ trademark policy to be overly restrictive.
>
> Furthermore, the ZeroMQ community has also recently chosen to institute
> a light review process, which we feel is at odds with the technical
> quality and long-term goals we desire for the project.
>
> The website for the project can be found here:
>
> http://www.crossroads.io
>
> Development of Crossroads I/O is coordinated and discussed on the
> crossroads-dev at groups.crossroads.io mailing list. You can subscribe to
> the list, and view previous archives, here:
>
> http://groups.crossroads.io/
>
> Thanks to the kind folks at behind GroupServer for sponsoring hosting of
> the mailing list on OnlineGroups.net!
>
> Release 1.0.0 of Crossroads I/O is available now, and can be downloaded at:
>
> http://www.crossroads.io/download
>
> This release is a direct continuation of the work since our release of
> ZeroMQ 3.1.0 in December 2011. You can find the Release Notes included
> in this email.
>
> We would like to thank the ZeroMQ community for their work over the
> years, and also everyone who we have discussed the fork with over the
> last couple of months for their help and advice.
>
> Regards,
>
> Martin Sustrik
> Martin Lucina

> Crossroads I/O Release Notes
> ----------------------------
>
> This file documents the major changes in between releases of Crossroads
> I/O. For a detailed list of changes please refer to Git history, or the
> ChangeLog file included with your distribution of Crossroads.
>

> Release 1.0.0 (15 March 2012)
> -----------------------------
>
> Initial release.  Changes listed here are as compared to libzmq release
> 3.1.
>
> New features:
>
> * The io_threads argument has been removed from xs_init(), and the
>   default number of I/O threads per context is now 1.
> * Context options added - see xs_setctxopt(3):
>   * The XS_IO_THREADS context option allows the user to specify the
>     size of the worker thread pool.
>   * The XS_MAX_SOCKETS context option allows the user to specify the
>     maximum number of sockets that can exist in parallel within a
>     context.
> * Allow setting the source address for TCP connections - see xs_tcp(7).
> * ZeroMQ drop-in compatibility mode, enabled by the --enable-libzmq
>   option to configure. This is a binary compatible emulation of the
>   ZeroMQ 2.1.11 API, for details see zmq(7).
>
> Bugfixes:
>
> * Fix pgm_receiver.cpp: zmq_assert (pending_bytes == 0). (LIBZMQ-205)
> * Fix assertion in pgm_sender_t::plug(). (LIBZMQ-303)
> * Race condition in zmq_term() fixed.
> * Message loss when a SUB socket disconnects fixed.
> [...]

Andrew Hume  (best -> Telework) +1 623-551-2845
andrew at research.att.com  (Work) +1 973-236-2014
AT&T Labs - Research; member of USENIX and LOPSA