[zeromq-dev] ZMQ reconnection

Emmanuel TAUREL taurel at esrf.fr
Thu Mar 15 10:46:57 CET 2012

Hello all,

On 14/03/2012 14:13, Pieter Hintjens wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 4:52 AM, Emmanuel TAUREL<taurel at esrf.fr>  wrote:
>
>> I am using ZMQ 3.1 and the PUB-SUB communication pattern.
>> Is there a way to disable the ZMQ automatic reconnection feature?
> There isn't one, but you might want to add this as a socket option,
> and send a patch.

I could try to do so but I see two ways to do it:

1 - Add a new socket option like ZMQ_DISABLE_RECONNECT
Cons: There are already quite a few socket options. I am not sure adding
a new one is the best solution

2 - Use the value 0 for the already existing ZMQ_RECONNECT_IVL
Cons: Could break some compatibility for those already using the value 0
to get ultra fast reconnection.
Pro: Simple

Which option is the best one?

Thank's for your answers