[zeromq-dev] v3.1 publisher filtering

Ian Barber ian.barber at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 17:59:27 CET 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Steve <steve.friendly at gmail.com> wrote:

> Joshua, thanks, that clears it up.
>
> The v3.1 XPUB / XSUB keeps the system really scalable and efficient if you
> have cascading publishers / subscribers.  However, the last leg to the
> subscriber is still going to have 'unwanted' messages going to certain
> subscribers (Subscriber 'A' in my example).  I would think that this would
> be a natural use case to solve but maybe it introduces scaling problems
> since the publisher has to keep a detailed subscriber list?

The publisher list is very fast - it uses an efficient trie structure to
hold the subscriptions, and can manage a large number of connections
without any noticable effect. I wouldn't worry about those types of issues
till are actually seeing problems with the volumes you are pushing -
certainly from what you describe there would be no problems. If you're
using ZMQ 3.1 (and, for example, TCP as a transport), the filtering in your
example will be all done at the publisher, so your A client will just get
matching messages.

Ian